Submit you comment HERE.
Seat elevation systems in power wheelchairs help people living with ALS, but Medicare does not cover these important mobility devices. After three years of requests from The ALS Association and our partner organizations, the U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) recently opened a review and is accepting public comments about whether to cover power seat elevation systems for Medicare beneficiaries.
CMS needs to hear from as many people as possible before the comment period closes about the challenges in accessing these devices and the impact seat elevation can make for people living with ALS. To write and submit your comment by September 14, please use the steps below:
- Write your comment. Some topics you may want to consider when submitting written comments include:
- Provide a brief introduction of who you are and why you support coverage of seat elevation systems.
- State clearly that you believe Medicare should extend coverage of seat elevation in power wheelchairs for Medicare beneficiaries with ALS.
- Share how access – or lack of access – to seat elevation in power wheelchairs impacts your life.
- Encourage Medicare to quickly approve coverage of seat elevation systems to ensure that people living with ALS that use wheelchairs can access the care they need.
- Thank Medicare for the opportunity to submit comments and restate your support for coverage.
- Click the button in the “Act now!” box to access the comment form on the CMS website:
- Click on the CMS PHI Posting Policy link and then check the box that reads: “I have read and understood the CMS policy regarding redaction of PHI.” This will protect your privacy.
- Complete all of the fields marked with an asterisk.
- Insert your comment in the “comment” field.
- Click “submit.”