May is ALS Awareness Month
Join together with the Golden West Chapter and the ALS community to help educate people about this devastating disease and inspire them to take action to fight ALS.
Throughout this month, we will share important facts about ALS, promising scientific developments, and information about public policy initiatives. We will highlight Golden West Chapter care services, which are provided free-of-charge to people with ALS and their loved ones, and help people live longer and better with ALS than any FDA approved medication. We will also share many stories from the ALS community to inspire and build connection, and to raise critically-needed support for our mission and the nearly 2000 people living with ALS and their loved ones that we serve. By showing your commitment to raising awareness and support, you provide essential help and hope to the ALS community. We are grateful for your ongoing dedication to our mission and the ALS community. It is only together that we will defeat ALS!
Share Your ALS Story
Sharing your experiences with ALS is a powerful way to raise awareness about the impact of this devastating disease. Everyone is invited to participate - those living with ALS, family members, and friends, as well as people who support our mission priorities in care services, research and advocacy.
Here are two examples from our ALS community:
Mary Starkey lost her son, Aaron, to ALS in 2021 at the age of 53. Mary became involved with the Chapter so that she could raise awareness about ALS. She urges everyone to find ways to raise awareness and support the Chapter’s mission.
Lorene and Tony Lee have been married since 1987 and living with ALS since 2010. Lorene and Tony connected with the Golden West Chapter and have remained passionate supporters of our mission through their participation in the Walk to Defeat ALS in California and Hawaii.
During ALS Awareness Month and throughout the year, we invite you to share your ALS story. In doing so, you are making a difference as we work together to ensure access to essential care services and to drive the search for effective treatments and cures.
Share your ALS story. It is only together that we will defeat ALS.
Help raise awareness and support by signing up for the Golden West Chapter’s Walk to Defeat ALS!
ALS Awareness Month is the perfect time to sign up for one (or more) of our Golden West Chapter Walk to Defeat ALS events!
These family-friendly gatherings include wheelchair accessible walk routes, an ALS Resource Fair, entertainment, and a Festival Zone with activities for all ages. And if you cannot join in person, you can still participate from wherever you are virtually!
Celebrating ALS Awareness Month and the 2023 National ALS Hero, Pat Dolan
The Golden West Chapter is extremely proud to share that Pat Dolan has been selected to receive The ALS Association’s highest honor, the national 2023 Hero Award! The Hero Award recognizes and pays tribute to people living with ALS who have made an indelible impact on the ALS community.
Pat was nominated by The ALS Association Golden West Chapter and ultimately chosen for this honor based on his incredible journey and vital and visible accomplishments in the fight against ALS. Find out more and see the presentation of the award.
Here are some ways that YOU can help during ALS Awareness Month!
- Share the facts and help others understand the devastating nature of this disease. Send this link to five people and encourage them to do the same, or post on social media using @alsagoldenwest and #ALSAwarenessMonth.
- Tell your story and let people know why you are committed to fighting ALS and increasing awareness about the needs of the ALS community.
- Make a gift to the Golden West Chapter. Every dollar makes a difference in the lives of so many and accelerates the search for effective treatments and cures.
- Recruit your friends to like and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. Like and share our posts, and don’t forget to use the hashtags: #ALS and #ALSAwareness
- Become an ALS advocate and help advance important public policy initiatives to benefit the ALS community.
- Sign up for or donate to our many Community Outreach events. Whether you want to walk, run, ride, hike, roll, or watch our livestream, your participation will help raise ALS awareness and support.
- Check our calendar for upcoming activities and events, like the Golden West Chapter’s ASK ME: ALS Treatments and Therapies; any of our Chapter support groups; or check out the many ways you can participate in ALS Awareness Month below!